OUR WORKSHOP APPROACH
Based on the intuitive approach we take to all our creative sessions, this workshop will guide you into using your intuition while giving you tools and methods to try out, and skills you can practice after the workshop as you continue your creative painting and drawing practice. Whatever we do not cover in workshop I due to time constraints will continue into workshop II and III.
AREAS OF SKILL WE WILL AIM TO COVER IN THE WORKSHOP
* Warming up and why creative play and relaxation is so key to creating confident art
* What we sometimes have to unlearn to deactivate in order to learn and activate creativity and skills that help us draw and paint freely
* Creative colour mixing and explorations...with some "theory" to give a framework to hang experiences on
* The use of excitement, contrasts and depth using tones...what moves your eye or creates a response in you...and why?
* The language of composition and how to plan yours using thumbnail sketches...what feels and looks good?
* When and how to measure, use viewfinders, copy or trace images and when not too...are there rules?
* Creative confidence and why it's more precious than gold...
* The basics of proportion, perspective and why we don't emphasise these in intuitive art
STYLES AND ART MOVEMENTS WE WILL SPEAK ABOUT TO INSPIRE YOU
* Spontaneous, raw, intuitive
* Process art
* Therapeutic art
* Loose and dynamic versus tight and controlled
Everyone will enjoy different styles of art making for personal reasons. The idea is to realise there are no limits to the kind of paintings and drawings you can make...and so the studio is there as an experimental lab! For you to explore, discover, test and try out what feels good and juicy for you, and where to follow yoru creative energy going forward.
MEDIA YOU WILL BE ABLE TO CHOOSE FROM
You will be able to use a range of wet and dry traditional and non-traditional drawing and painting media, including:
* tempera paints
* acrylic glazes
* acrylic paint
* graphite pencils
* charcoal sticks
* coloured and water colour pencils
* jik and quink
* and even shoe polish!
You will be inspired to give yourself permission to use anything and everything at your disposable to make marks and draw in ways that develop healthy appreciation for our individuality, unique expressions and natural artistic voices. For those who choose it, add some foilart or glitter to make a drawing sparkle and shine! Unlike many traditional, contemporary art studios, we encourage whatever art is naturally wanting to be created through you...be that whimsical and light, or deep and dark!
THEMES AND SUBJECTS YOU CAN EXPLORE
There is not set theme or subject for your to be constricted by! You can set the theme or explore any subject matter you like, there are no rules and the process encourages creative confidence building and freedom. You may want to work through something important to you autobiographically for example, or you may find something purely fantastical emerging through the process. It's all welcome, and more!
As with other drawing workshops, we may also build on and explore further into what it's like to express emotion through line, but you can also add colour and texture to this experience too, using intuition, feeling and texture to guide us...tools that you can apply to intuitive and realistic drawing and painting in future sessions too.
FULL DAY RECOMMENDATION
As this workshop does introduce a range of media and enables you to discover tools, processes and develop skills with practice, it is recommended that you book for the full day workshop if your schedule allows it.